Thursday, June 28, 2012

I’ve got the blues, the pinks and the purples


- Half a rainbow


Sometimes I have ideas for designs in my head, and when I try to actually make them into real manis, they never ever look like they did in my head. It’s a little bit annoying, but hey – we learn as long as we live, right?

So anyway – long time ago I bought a nail art brush set, and the brush that puzzled me the most was the fan brush. This one:


I wanted to try and use it for something, and I had this great mani on my mind. But what my idea ended up looking like was this:


Here’s a mini tutorial to how I made it:

First I applied two coats of Jordana’s “Fuchsia Flicker”, a baby pink with a few holographic glitters and bars. Not my colour at all, and I would never ever wear it on its own! It was hard to capture on cam. I had to take a pic in the sun to make it pretty colour accurate.

Two coats, no top coat:


Then I took a plastic sleeve and poured some drops of Finger Paints’ “Vintage Violet” on it. Vintage Violet is a shimmery purple that I’ve bought in a blog sale. I can only use this for nail art and dotting, since the brush is twisted, curved and misshapen, which the blog sale owner must have known, since she’d used it once. I have to say that in my opinion it’s extremely bad style to sell something that you know is broken, but that’s possibly just me.

Anyway, I taped around my nails (because I’m not that good at cleaning up after “accidents” on the cuticles), dipped the fan brush in the drops of polish and painted the top two thirds of the nails with that. I only did this once. Then I cleaned the fan brush.

Here’s that step:


Then I took a polish from Essence “50’s Girls reloaded” series, a midnight blue shimmer called “I’m a Marine girl”. I poured a couple of drops of that onto the plastic sleeve and repeated the previous step, now just painting the last third of the nail blue.



Almost done now – I just wanted to add some shimmer to this “gradient” mani. I chose Orly’s “Rocker Chick”, which is a clear base with iridescent glitters.

One coat of that and one coat of Seche Vite top coat, and I was ready to rock!



Here’s a shot of the polished I used:
 
Jordana: Fuchsia Flicker, Finger Paints: Vintage Violet, Essence: I'm a Marine Girl, Orly: Rocker Chick

As I said, it’s not at all what I had in mind, but quite like it anyway.
Be honest and please let me know what you think of this.

30 comments:

  1. Looks awesome and the colors go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuute! It reminds me of a sunset or sunrise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. Perhaps I should try and make it with yellow/orange/red colours!

      Delete
  3. Wow I like it. I am so jealous you have that blue. Beaufiful colors you used here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I actually bought that blue before I became a nail polish blogger and before I really started having a collection of polishes.

      Delete
  4. haha i agree with your first statement (y)


    find me♥
    Twitter // Blog // Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be somewhat annoying when it is like that :D

      Delete
  5. It's really cool, I love the gradient you created :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was nice to try out something different :)

      Delete
  6. Looks great, all the colours are beautiful! I'm afraid I missed 50's girls reloaded collection:( How long ago was it in stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that 50's girls reloaded was from last year's summer collection. I've also got the white creme polishes from that collection.

      Delete
  7. Looks nice. I had no idea how to use that brush... Now I know... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only way I have figured out to use it. I'd be happy to learn more :D

      Delete
  8. IT looks cool. I haven´t used the fan brush from my brush set, yet :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! :D
      And then blog about it afterwards ;)

      Delete
  9. I like it! And I agree, it's totally out of order to sell something you know is broken.
    I have a fan nail brush too and I've only used it once (in about 2 years I think). I used it sideways with some holo polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea! I want to try that too! :)

      Delete
  10. Love it!! Especially love the purple! I definitely need to get some nail brushes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just bought a new set, I just wish I was better at using them :)

      Delete
  11. Hi. I am one of your new followers, I find your blog by mistake, I was seeking for talented nail art lowers. I tried to look up for your old post too, and I found a lot of lovely and beautiful mani's which are very inspiring for me! I have a blog, if you like you can look up and sea a few of my designs.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I am glad if I can be of some sort of inspiration! :)
      I've checked out your blog and have followed you right back.

      Delete
  12. I bought the identifiers in a store that sells products for gardening and rode the color palette.

    I loved his creation, great choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool - I'll see if I can find something similar here, because I really liked the idea! :)

      Delete