Friday, September 6, 2013

Treasures by Tan ~ After Shock



Treasures by Tan ~ After Shock 
Cherry linear holo

It’s not a secret that I haven’t been impressed with the Treasure by Tan holos that I bought on Etsy. I don’t think they’re opaque enough and I also don’t think the holo is quite strong enough. It’s taking me quite a while to get all six of them tested, since I’m not totally thrilled; you know what I mean?

One thing I do know: I love it when my manis pop! So I decided to use the brightest red I have as underwear for this cherry coloured holo. I used Revlon’s “Fire Fox”, which is a bright red matte suede, that covers perfectly in two easy coats. Drying time is great too, you can literarily sit and watch it dry because it dries up semi matte!

Here’s the base colour for the holo; two coats and no topcoat:



It’s a nice “in your face” red, I like it! 

Now for the holo. I applied two coats of “After Shock”. It applies easily and doesn’t pull on the polish underneath it. Drying time is really slow though. I waited really patiently but it seemed like forever before it was dry. I didn’t apply a topcoat yet – I’m not done yet :D

Two coats over the bright red Revlon:


It’s nice and bright, but the holo isn’t very strong, which is disappointing!


This is actually as strong as I can make it look. I give credit to the underlaying polish for the fact that I actually like the colour! :D


Then I decided for some easy nail art. I used OPI liquid sand “Honey Ryder” from the Bond Girls collection. I made stripes on three of the nails. Then I used a mini craft punch and cut out hearts in masking tape. Then I placed the tape on the ring finger and the thumb and sponged “Honey Ryder” on before quickly removing the tape. And alas: Even half an hour after the last coat of “After Shock” the polish wasn’t quite dry, and the tape pulled on the mani. Argh!

Here’s the final mani after one layer of topcoat:


And here’s the craft punch that I bought really cheap in a local dollar store:


I’m not really a gold kind of girl, but I kind of like this :D The red holo ended up in my box of shame and has already found a new home, along with some of her sisters.


Opacity: 3/10
Colour, prettiness: 6/10
Durability: 6/10
Value for money: 5/10
Overall: 5/10
Buy again: No

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a gold girl either but together with red is something different! Looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I might even use this gold for Christmassy manis :)

      Delete
  2. These two are on my list for wedding colors (when the time comes). I love Gold and red together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red and gold go really well together, I think so too :)

      Delete