Monday, September 24, 2018

BornPrettyStore Gel ~ BP-08 Holographic Gal


BornPrettyStore Gel ~ BP-08 Holographic Gal
Deep magenta with holographic microglitter

This is the first time ever that I wear gel polish! I love to change my polish often, so I haven’t really seen the point in buying/wearing gel polish. Then all the holo powders entered the scene – and they worked best on gel. I managed to get around that though, with a sticky base colour it worked okay for me.

I ended up buying a LED lamp anyway. And once that was in the house, I wanted to buy a couple of gel polishes. I figured that it would be smart to wear that when I’m off on holiday. If there’s something I dislike, it’s chipped nail polish. So now I’ve got lamp, powders, base- and topcoat and a small variety of colours – and I’m also on my way on holiday. That’s why today is the day that’s going to be my first day with gel polish on my nails.

The polish I am using is from BornPrettyStore. I bought it on ebay along with a couple of sisters. The formula is ridiculously thick – I’ve heard that’s common for a gel, but honestly, it was seriously hard to paint with. I am aware that gel polish isn’t supposed to go on the cuticles and I’m usually pretty good to paint my nails and not getting polish on the cuticles, but this gave me a hard time.

I did like this:
One layer of OPI Gel base coat – cure for 60 seconds. Note to self: The thumbs can’t be cured along with the other fingers. There is room in the lamp but it didn’t stiffen.
One layer of “Holographic Gal” – cure for 60 seconds.
Another layer of “Holographic Gal” – cure for 60 seconds.
One layer of OPI Gel top coat – cure for 60 seconds.

Here’s what it all ended up looking like:

BornPrettyStore Gel ~ BP-08 Holographic Gal


It’s a really lovely colour.

BornPrettyStore Gel ~ BP-08 Holographic Gal

Verdict: I spend a lot of time on these nails. Especially the clean up before the curing took a lot of time. Another thing is that I apparently put too thick a layer of topcoat on two of the nails. The result was that it ran down onto the cuticles while my hand was in the lamp and then it hardened on my cuticles. That meant two things: 

  1. It actually gave me a burning feeling on my skin as it hardened!
  2. I had to file it off my skin
I will use gel when I go on holiday but it’s probably never going to be an everyday thing. 

PS. I experienced the first chip the day after!! I must admit that it disappointed me a lot since I don't even experience ordinary nail polish chipping that fast.

Number of coats: 2
Drying time: 60 seconds per layer
Finish: Jelly with holo microglitter
Overall impression: Very thick base, pretty colour
Buy again: Yes

4 comments:

  1. This was an interesting read. I love knowing your first try at gel. The only time I used gel was when I used cat eye powder which didn't had satisfying result. Oh and BTW I just used top coat not polish (I don't owe one). I didn't had any burning feeling but like you said I found it hard with working with gel because how thick they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I must admit that I was quite disappointed with the wear.
      But I guess for a first experience it was quite good.
      I'm not done playing with it for sure :D

      Delete
  2. I have BP-09, BP-10 and BP-11 from the same BP Holographic collection and I love them; by the way, I like also this one that I see here in your post, it's just that I had to choose some of them and I fall for all shades of blue and purple, so my choice was different... :-)

    Yes, there are some BP UV gel polishes that are a bit more "runny" than others and also I experienced some UV gel that hardened on my cuticles... yes, it's so frustrating...
    But, I can't remember that BP UV Holographic polishes gave me this kind of problem, also because they were a little bit on a thicker side...

    And I didn't have problems with chipping...

    Are you sure that you "sealed" also the edges of your nails, just like you usually do with normal nail polish? (Sorry if this question seems stupid, but this is the only thing that comes to my mind and that could cause chipping...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so disappointed with the chipping. I did exactly like I normally do and I hardly ever experience chipping with regular polish. To have a one-wear day is just not good enough for me.
      But yes, I will definitely try again but maybe not on my way on a holiday because it was so hard to accept the chipping for such a long time :D

      Delete