Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Challenge Day 9: Rainbow


Summer Challenge Day 9: Rainbow


I love rainbows. They’re so pretty and special and full of colours! So I have really been looking forward to today’s challenge.

I picked 6 different polishes for my rainbow: Green, yellow, orange, red, purple and blue. Here are the involved polishes:

Constance Caroll: Neon green, NYC: i114A, Wet n Wild: Sunny Side up, Astor: 025, L. A. Colors: Morning glory and Essence: I’m a marine girl

My idea was to make a rainbow gradient over the nails, going from green to yellow, orange, red, purple and blue.

I started out by painting my nails like this: 


Two coats of purple L. A. Colors Morning glory, two coats of red Astor 025, Three coats of orange Wet n Wild Sunny side up and three coats of yellow NYC i114A.

The yellow was a complete and utter bastard to work with. It was very sheer, streaky, making bald spots… I really ended up disliking that polish a lot. The orange Wet n Wild caused me similar problems, but it wasn’t quite a sheer as the yellow. But - the red and the purple could have been one coaters if I had used a thicker coat.

Then I sponged on each nail – I sponged half the thumb with green: Constance Caroll, the index finger with orange, the middle finger with red, the ring finger with purple, and the pinky with blue.

After that I applied a thick coat of Jesse’s Girl Opal Glitter, which is a very pretty iridescent glitter I use a lot to give the final finish to my manis.

Here’s the final result – my rainbow nails!!


Would you believe that this my first attempt of rainbow nails? How do you think I got away with it?

You should also check out these other Danish girls’ blogs to see what they came up with for rainbow nails:


Stay tuned the day after tomorrow - same bat time, same bat channel - for (even more) gradient nails!

22 comments:

  1. Ooh these are pretty! I like the glitter, it gives it something extra ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted my rainbow to be extra sparkly :)

      Delete
  2. I really like these rainbow nails! The middle finger is my favourite colour combination :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also mine! The blue and the purple was too close in colours for it to show properly :)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, this is goregoeus, I really love it - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pga. dit navn havde jeg forudset at denne dag var dit rette element ;-)

    Dine negle er virkelig flotte!! Godt tænkt at lave gradienten på den anden led end man ellers plejer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, jeg blev glad, da jeg så, at der var en regnbue :)

      Og tak! Jeg må øve noget mere på de gradients, så jeg kan blive helt tilfreds med dem. Jeg har en anelse om, at piger med laaaange negle har bedre forudsætninger, men jeg kæmper videre! :D

      Delete
  5. I like your rainbow nails! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I thought that yellow would kill me! :D

      Delete
  6. Great job combining all the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait til you see tomorrows post! It's a really cool coincidence! This is gorgeous. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cool coincidences, so I can hardly wait till tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! I love seeing all the colors together. It's a very happy mani :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it with the glitter on top! Very pretty!! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it does add a little extra, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete