Friday, March 1, 2013

POP Beauty ~ Midnight Minx, with L'Oreal and Barry M


Color Changing polishes

Today I’m going to show you a mani I made with three of my untrieds; and two of them are special polishes: One of them can change colour itself, and the other one can change other polishes’ colours. Let’s see how that went, shall we?

I started out with a dark purple, very vampy polish, namely Pop Beauty Nail Glam: Midnight Minx. It’s a polish that flashes some shimmer in the bottle, but not so much on the nails. The formula was okay as long as I worked fast. If I worked a bit slower, the polish started to act gooey and weird. But anyway – second coat evened out almost all irregularities for me.

Here’s that first step:



Now for the first special polish, which is a shimmer from L’Oreal called Crystalissime. I found it at Christmas time, and apparently it’s a limited edition polish. I would probably have bought two of them if I had known that back then. But never mind! I want to show you that this polish actually manages to change the underlaying colour. I’ve applied one coat on my little finger and my ring finger, and nothing on the other two. Take a look for yourself:


Do you see how the shimmer almost removes the blue, leaving a gorgeous purple shimmer?

On this pic I’ve applied Crystalissime on all the nails. I love this shimmer!!


Now for the next colour changing polish. It’s a Barry M called Chameleon Pink, which changes colour when a top coat is applied. I didn’t buy it for that effect though, but solely because I’ve heard it should be fantastic for stamping.

So – I used Gals stamping plate GA23 from the Princess set and stamped with the Barry M. It looked nice without the top coat, but I don’t wear my manis without topcoat. So I did the same thing: Top coated my little finger and my ring finger, and left the others alone. And here’s the result:


The top coat definitely makes the shimmer pop more, but it doesn’t change the actual colour of the Barry M much. 

Here’s a fully top coated mani:


And the three polishes I used:



I was curious about the Barry M, so I painted a layer of it on a nail wheel so see how much it actually changes colour when you don’t just use it for stamping. When it was dry, I topcoated half of it, and behold, it really does change colour:

 

That’s it. Three untrieds nailed! :D
Do you like effect polishes? Do you use any?

17 comments:

  1. Pretty!!
    I need to get like you and start using more of my untrieds. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I struggle to use some of my polishes more than once :D

      Delete
  2. That Loreal is a beauty!! It's like magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the effect the L'Oreal polish has! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fantastic topper. Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  4. So beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute mani! I'm a big fan of the pink stamping on the dark purple base... so pretty! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is really cool-I love that design-I need to dust it off and use it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I am really looking forward to seeing it on you! :)

      Delete