Saturday, May 26, 2012

My first gradient!


My first sponging gradient mani


I follow quite a lot of nail blogs out there, and I’ve been looking at the gradient manicures with envy. Some nail bloggers make it look so beautiful, and I’ve wanted to try it out myself for quite a while now. The reason I haven’t done it until now is that it looks pretty difficult to achieve a great looking gradient.  At least that’s what I thought.

A month ago or so, I saw a trick that suddenly made sponging gradients look easy. I decided to give it a go.

Here’s what I ended up with:


And here’s a picture taken with the other sponging colour:


I painted my nails pearly white first, using 2 coats of Amor’s “Pearl White”. (I know - great name, right?) I felt so weird having white nails! Then I painted the two colours I wanted to use on the sponge, and then I sponged both colours on the nail in one go. I also chose to turn the sponge around on my ring finger; I think that looks pretty cool.


I used HOT Makeup polishes, the turquoise is called “Turquoise Love” and the pink one is called “Cherry Berry”. I deliberately chose some colours that I know are very much pigmented, so I only had to sponge once on each nail.

Here’s what the polishes look like:


I think it’s pretty good for a first time gradient! What do you think? Are you good at sponging?

19 comments:

  1. it's so pretty! love the colours you have. The accent nail is such a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. These "Hot makeup" polishes are one of the few brands that I can sometimes buy really cheap here. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pleased myself, I think it was pretty good for a first time.

      Delete
  3. It looks really great, I like the color combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, me too. I wonder if I should have done some more with it, like stamping or something, but I liked it. :)

      Delete
  4. Seriously, first time? Great job! Really like the polishes you picked, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a good job! I liked the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It was actually the first time I even used those two colours.

      Delete
  6. I love the colors you used and I think your gradient looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thanks! :) I know it's not perfect but it's nice when the first time turns out pretty good. That makes me more brave to try to do it again.

      Delete
  7. This is awesome, especially for your first gradient! I'm not very good at sponging but I plan to practice during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I feel encouraged by this :) Thank you so much. I'll definitely be practising too!

      Delete
  8. Gradients are everywhere! I'm not sure I am loving this trend. I'm still undecided. I emailed mash about shipping to you. If they don't I can get you a set and ship it myself. We can do it via PayPal. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! New to your blog so I was looking through all the older ones and came across this one. Yours turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) It's nice that some people look at older posts too :)

      Delete