Friday, November 16, 2012

The Rest of the Year Challenge 4: Movember


The Rest of the Year Challenge 4: Movember

I’m learning a lot from this challenge. Before I started, I hadn’t even heard about the phenomenon “Movember”.

Movember is a portmanteau of moustache and November. It is an annual, month-long event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness of prostate cancer and other male cancer initiatives. The goal of Movember is to "change the face of men's health.”

The rules of conduct given on the Movember site are:
  • Once registered at movember.com each mo bro must begin the 1st of Movember with a clean shaven face.
  • For the entire month of Movember each mo bro must grow and groom a moustache. 
  • There is to be no joining of the mo to sideburns. That’s considered a beard. 
  • There is to be no joining of the handlebars to chin. That’s considered a goatee. 
  • Each mo bro must conduct himself like a true country gentleman.

I obviously can’t grow a moustache, so I’ll paint it onto my nails instead!

I started out with two coats of Borghese “Fantastico Lime”, which is a lime green crème. I don’t like it much, to be honest, but it works for this mani.

Here’s a pic of two coats, no top coat:


Now for the moustaches. I’ve seen a tutorial which make it look ridiculously easy to draw moustaches. It’s basically done by making four dots on your nails with a dotting tool, and then connecting them with either a thin dotting tool or a tooth pick. Let me just say that I found it in no way as easy as it looked, and I ended up being not pleased at all with my little moustaches.

Here there are, sealed up with a layer of Seche Vite top coat:



It’s not very nice, is it? And here’s another pic:


My boyfriend, who is very supportive, thinks it looks a lot like Ned Flanders! LOL 


Check out these other Danish girls’ blogs to see what they came up with for Movember. I know for sure that they did better than me! :)



19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Haha, I must admit I thought I would be better at drawing moustaches! :D

      Delete
  2. Great cause, beautiful manicure. Love the base color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, looks cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe that's cute and it does look like Flanders! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I can assure you that it was completely unintentional! :)

      Delete
  5. Hahaha I totally see Flanders :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haa.. This is cute. Lots of men are keeping their beards and mustaches unshaven this month. I think its interesting. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a funny way to show support. But hey - anything for a great cause, right? :D LOL

      Delete
  7. a Portmanteau? Now there's a big word and I have no idea what it means! HEHEH~ Since I am a male cancer nurse i'm glad to see things on people's blogs other than the pink for breast cancer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turns out that Movember has grown on the Danes here, so to speak. Even the busses grow moustaches now, hahaha!! :)

      Delete