Monday, March 17, 2014

Musical Mani Monday, week 5: Aqua ~ Back to the 80s


What’s the first thing that springs to mind when you think about the 80s?

I think about a lot of things when I think of the 80s. I think of bad fashion with huge shoulder pads, oddly shaped pants and leg warmers. I think of big, permed hair for both boys and girls. I think of Pacman, Raybans, Rubik’s cubes and roller blades. I think of shapes like squares and triangles. But most of all I think of the ‘pow’ colours. The 80s was a decade full of pinks, purples, blue, orange and yellow, and preferably in almost neon-ish shades.

This is why my Musical Mani ended up looking like this:


I took my inspiration in one of Denmark’s largest cinemas, Palads, which is situated in the middle of Copenhagen. In the 80s it was decided to shine it up with some paint, and here’s what it ended up looking like:


It still looks like this, and to me the colours are spot on 80s! It kinda looks like a huge liquorice allsort, don’t you think?

Anyway, I used a yellow from the brand Pastel as my base. I’m most certainly not a yellow fan, and the fact that I used three coats and it still didn’t look great wasn’t helping. I applied a layer of Poshé topcoat before I started the nail art.


I used four different polishes for the nail art: Pastel #123 is my blue, Pastel #310 is my orange, Pastel #724 is my bright pink and Coolcos #05 is my bright purple.


I sponged the colours on with a small makeup sponge. I didn’t mean that the edges should be crisp, which is why I didn’t tape my nails.


When I was done I applied a layer of China Glaze Fairy Dust, both to add some sparkle but also to tie the colours together. It worked, in my opinion.

Here are the polishes I used:

Pastel #143, 310, 724 and 123. Coolcos #05. China Glaze Fairy Dust
 
I better link you up to the Aqua song that started this challenge in the first place. Aqua is a Danish band that got really popular in 1997 when they released the song “Barbie Girl”. The group split up in July 2001 – after having sold an estimated 33 million albums and singles, which is making them the most successful Danish band ever. They reunited again in 2007 and “Back to the 80s” was released in 2009.







This was the fifth challenge in my Music Mani Monday. Stay tuned next week to see how I interpret Lady Gaga’s Americano! 



18 comments:

  1. This is cool, it also slightly reminds me of tie dye - but no matter what a great inspiration of choice of colors, it makes me happy just by looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, tie dye - I could have made this a 60s or 70s theme as well then :)

      Delete
  2. Love the result - colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your inspirations. The colours work very well together and is such a cheerful mani :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you do! When this challenge is over, I want to do another one :)

      Delete
  4. Haha this is such a fun mani! It does evoke the colorfulness of the 80s. :)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm so pleased to hear it :)

      Delete
  5. What a fun mani! And I love that you got inspired by Palads :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so bright. So shiny! I love these colours! I've always loved the Palads building. That is Copenhagen to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is to me too. I think they should give it a wash or a brush up soon though so it can shine brightly again :)

      Delete
  7. Wow what a cool looking building! You're mani here is really awesome!

    ReplyDelete