Monday, March 24, 2014

Musical Mani Monday, week 6: Lady Gaga ~ Americano (with blooper!)

The only thing I knew when I started my mani was that I didn’t want to make American flags on my nails. Don’t get me wrong: There’s nothing wrong with American flags, but honestly, they’ve been done a hogzillion times before, and I wanted to think outside the box this time. This is a challenge after all.

So I read the lyrics, which is about same sex-marriage, but no, no inspirational bells ringing.

Then I read the background about Americano and that helped. The song was influenced by the events surrounding the repeal of the controversial California Proposition 8 (a ballot proposition that defined marriage as a union between opposite-sex couples, thereby prohibiting and invalidating same-sex marriage throughout the state) - as well as the growing struggles of Mexican immigrants. Lady Gaga said she wanted to make this song really Mexican, with the struggle the Mexican people have gone through for freedom, for a better life, and so those ideas are directly implemented in the song. The singer's main objective was to "go full on Mexicano”. Great!

Here’s what Mexico can look like graphically spoken; green, white and red:


And my mani ended up looking like this:


So what I did was to start with three layers of OPI’s Alpine Snow. It’s often praised to be a great white, and I use it a lot for my nail art. But as a white base it just doesn’t do it for me. Three coats is at least one too many in my opinion! I applied a layer of Poshé topcoat to make sure it dried ok before the next step.


Next step was taping the nails diagonally across. When that was done I applied a layer of Green Glitter from Amour. Green Glitter is a totally appropriate name for a green glitter, in my opinion :D I gave it another layer of Poshé topcoat and waited until it was dry. Then I applied tape on top of the green glitter and added three pieces of striping tape on the white base. I applied a layer of Lilypad Lacquer “Rebel at Heart” and removed all the tape straight away.


I took a picture of the white and green alone too, I think that looked pretty cool.


And now for the blooper!! I had to redo the green on the middle nail, because when I removed the tape after having applied the red, it took all the green glitter with it!! And here’s how odd that looked like:


I was not happy when that happened, that’s for sure! Not a happy camper at all. Anyway, here are the pretty polishes:

  

That was the sixth challenge in my Music Mani Monday. Stay tuned next week to see how I interpret The Monster with Eminem and Rihanna! 


Check out what the other girls made: 

16 comments:

  1. Wow, nice! The tape technic is too hard me. :)
    I can't draw a straight line, no avail I use a ruler :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The tape is a challenge to me too, especially the striping tape. I'm not great at straight lines either :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, it's so cool. Such a great nail art! Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I did not look that much into the background of the song... I like it much better now! :D

    And it's a great design :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I thought I had to dig a little deeper for my inspiration this time :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice mani. The green glitter is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I find Amour's glitters really great :)

      Delete
  5. I love the theme and the polishes choices are perfect. I am avoiding to do manis with tapes because I make always a mess, so your is absolute stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's so sweet of you to say, thank you!! :)

      Delete
  6. Same thing happened to me! Gah, I hate when that happens! But beautiful result none the less :)
    I think that when you know the background of the song it gets even better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that when it happened, I sat and stared at my nails in disbelief, trying to figure out why they didn't look right :D
      And yes, I definitely think so too :)

      Delete